About Me

My photo
Wife, patisserie student, vintage lover, and so much more!

Sunday 26 December 2010

Christmas Part 2/3

Christmas part two was lunch on Christmas day at my house with my sister & her partner, and my father and step mother.  I got up nice and early to bake a lemon-sour cream cake for dessert.. This cake is super moist, and has a perfect balance between sweet and sour. I have given the recipe below.

Sour Cream Lemon Syrup Loaf
(Recipe adapted from a Cuisine magazine)

Ingredients
For the loaf:
125g softened butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
grated rind of 3 lemons
150g sour cream
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the Syrup:
Juice of 3 lemons
1/4 Cup sugar

Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
In a food processor, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, grated lemon rind, sour cream and vanilla. Then add the flour and baking powder.
Grease either a 20 x 10cm loaf tin, or an 8inch baking tin, lining the bottom with baking paper, before pouring the mixture in.
Here the recipe says to bake for 30mins, however my cake is usually still too soft in the middle, so I tend to bake mine for about 45mins, or until a knife comes out clean.
Cool the cake for about 5mins, and then turn out onto a cooking rack.

While the cake is baking, heat the lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Turn the cake upside down, and spoon half this mixture onto it, then let it stand for about 10mins. After 10mins turn the cake over, and spoon the remaining syrup on.  This step is important, as it ensures the cake is evenly soaked in syrup!

Enjoy!

Here are a few more pictures from my Christmas lunch.


The white stack at the back is Injera, a sour Eritrean flatbread. It's eaten with many Eritrean dishes and is one of my most favourite foods!


Dress: Second hand
Belt: Vintage (Christmas gift from my Aunt)
Shoes: Sportsgirl




Pink Flamingos! By the front door to greet visitors.
The tall one has been named Diego,
but the short one is still name-less! Any ideas?
xx
Lucy

1 comment:

Malayka said...

That cake was SO good. I just finished it before and wish there was more.