About Me

My photo
Wife, patisserie student, vintage lover, and so much more!

Thursday 30 December 2010

Yumbots & the best vegan mousse EVER

For Christmas, not only did my man get me a pair of beautiful pink flamingos for the garden (as shown in this post), but he also got me these great novelty silicone cupcake holders called Yumbots!

Aren't they cute?

It made me want to do some baking asap, but since I had already planned to make a delicious chocolate mousse for some friends who were coming over for dinner, I thought I would make it in these instead, and was quite pleased with the outcome!






The mousse (or pots de creme as the recipe calls it), is rich, creamy and delicious. Although I am only vegetarian, my man is vegan, so when I found this recipe he was really happy, it's incomparable to any other vegan mousse recipe I have tried, and is something that non-vegans will also love!

The original recipe is from the Voracious Vegan (sadly the blog is currently down for maintenance), however I have made a few very small changes, and converted it to metric for you.

Vegan Chocolate Mousse (makes 3-4 servings)
This dessert needs to be made 1 day in advance to ensure it sets.
Ingredients:
 400g Coconut Milk
150g dark chocolate (the better the quality, the better your dessert, but don't use anything over 70% cocoa)
1tsp (heaped) instant coffee
Splash of vanilla
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cinnamon


On the stove, bring the coconut milk to a simmer, then add the coffee, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Turn the heat off, break the chocolate into pieces and add to the hot coconut milk, stirring constantly until chocolate is mostly melted, then using a stick blender, blend it all up to fully combine the chocolate and milk.
Pour mixture into ramekins/teacups/a bowl and chill until firm (preferably overnight).

The original recipe suggests using a blender to combine the (unmelted) chocolate with the hot coconut milk, so if you have a blender, you could do that instead.


Enjoy!
xx
Lucy

4 comments:

Malayka said...

Ha ha ha they look so cute!

The Retro Natural said...

Ooh this looks really tasty! I've made raw vegan chocolate mousse with avocado, coconut oil, cacao and agave and it actually came out quite nice! Who woulda thought? :)

I love your blog, retro forever! :)

Saba said...

Avocado? How interesting! When avocados are cheaper again, I will have to do some experimenting.

The Retro Natural said...

I plan on making this once spring time hits :) it'll be nice out in the sun!