About Me

My photo
Wife, patisserie student, vintage lover, and so much more!

Thursday 17 February 2011

Waffles for dinner!

I haven't done much baking this week, so to make up for it, I decided to have breakfast waffles for dinner! (I love having dinner leftovers for breakfast too heh).



We don't own a waffle maker, so I borrowed my sisters, mainly to experiment with making vegan waffles, because my family are crazy about waffles and whipped cream, both of which my vegan boyfriend can't eat!

The waffles were fairly average, a little bland, and having the same problem I seem to have with vegan pancakes, - a little bit heavy and chewy, rather than the light, fluffy and crispy non vegan ones (although these ones did get a nice crust). The recipe I used can be found here.


Instead of whipped cream, I served these with whipped coconut cream, which I have read about, but never made before, and man was I impressed!!  To make this, you put a can of coconut milk (full fat, don't use the low fat ones), in the fridge overnight, until the cream separates and rises to the top. Scoop the cream out, leaving the runny coconut liquid, which can be used in smoothies or curries, and whip the coconut cream as you would normal cream, with a teaspoon of icing sugar and a dash of vanilla!   If it's not whipping properly, put it in the freezer for 5 mins or so, and then continue to whip it into soft peaks.   *EDIT* I tried making this with coconut cream and it was gross, so make sure you use coconut milk when making this!

I then garnished it with pineapple (which was great with the coconut), blueberries, agave nectar (instead of maple syrup), and a sprig of mint!

All in all, it was pretty delicious, I just need to tweak the waffle recipe a little... or find a vegan substitute for beaten egg whites, to make the waffles lighter and fluffier!




Do you ever have breakfast for dinner or vice versa?

xx
Lucy

5 comments:

Malayka said...

Yum (I mean the whipped coconut cream but not the veganess of the waffles)! Glad they turned out, they look great.

PaisleyJade said...

I love waffles - only just got my own waffle maker this Christmas (after years of using a sandwich press would you believe!!). Yours look fab.

The Retro Natural said...

Oh boy, your food makes me hungry! I use Egg Replacer for my vegan pancakes and they come out soooo fluffy. This one box has lasted me over 5 years.. it's powder so it's really easy to mix into the pankcake or waffle mix dry ingredients but adding it to batter works fine too. Give it a whirl sometime! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Ener-G-Egg-Replacer-16-454/dp/B000QSS2C4

You can also use tapioca flour but I haven't experimented with mine in baking just yet. But it's for thickening soups or making cakes more springy.

Ahh, I never thought to use coconut cream..gonna try that this weekend perhaps! thanks! :)

Saba said...

Oooh I actually have a box of egg replacer in the pantry somewhere, I will definitely add some to my next batch of waffles, thanks for the tip!

The Retro Natural said...

no prob, thanks for the coconut milk tip, I'm making a note to but some asap! :D